Friday, December 5, 2014

Guilty of Bias; A new Perspective on the Crossfit Games



I have to be honest, I am guilty. Guilty of being biased. You see I have had something of a change of heart in the last day regarding my last post. More of a realization actually. What I realized is that I have been looking at the Crossfit Games from the wrong perspective. Mine, as a weightlifting Coach. 

HEIGHT:
WEIGHT:
Men:
Men:
2011 – 70.1
2012 – 69.8
2013 – 69.7
2014 – 69.3
2011 – 188.7
2012 – 198.0
2013 – 195.2
2014 – 191.4
Woman:
Woman:
2011 – 65.0
2012 – 65.2
2013 – 64.9
2014 – 64.8
2011 – 139.1
2012 – 143.5
2013 – 142.1
2014 – 141.8

Crossfit is not Olympic weightlifting, and it is not trying to be. I should not have imposed my expectations and beliefs upon it. I have been looking at it from my own viewpoint and perspective this whole time, which was wrong.

 My opinion on Bodyweight exercises and whether it is easier for lighter lifters hasn’t changed. My opinion on whether it is unfair to have lighter lifters snatching the same weight as heavier lifters hasn’t changed. What has changed is my perspective on the games itself. All along it should have been the Crossfit athletes themselves I should have been looking at. 

So I decided to do a little research. When the 2014 Crossfit Regional’s workout was revealed this year many people assumed it would favor the smaller lighter athletes based on its emphasis on Gymnastic skills. It featured a max distance handstand walk, 150 pistols, 21 ring muscle-ups, 54 strict handstand push-ups, 54 burpees, 10 legless rope climbs, 50 ring dips, and 64 pull-ups. Below are the average Heights and Weights of the Crossfit Games individual Qualifiers over the years 2011-2014

Based on the above statistics it would seem that there was no significant decrease in qualifiers average weight. What does that say about the theory that Bodyweight exercises are easier for lighter athletes?

I decided to look further and found this great article over at www.theboxmag.com.
(Link below) The writer asks several top level Crossfit athletes their feelings on the one-size fits all philosophy on the Crossfit games. One athlete in particular gave his comments on being a smaller athlete competing in the games. Chris Spealler, at 151 lbs in undoubtedly one of the best light athletes around. When asked;

Do you think the Games are fair for all competitors?

"No, I don’t think CrossFit is fair. Anybody who does think its fair is stretching a bit. But I don’t think it’s designed to be fair. They do a good job of balancing things out, but I don’t think that every Game’s is fair."

As a lighter guy myself I feel Chris’s pain here. He seems to feel aggrieved by the fact that he has to compete against guys that are so much heavier than him. Who can blame him? He does however also seem to thrive on it. In the article he says he likes being the underdog, and goes on to say that he would like to see at least one event in each competition where the load was based on an athlete’s bodyweight.

What struck me most about his answers was that when asked whether he was interested in competing in bodyweight categories at the Games his answer was unequivocally NO. In fact all of the athletes pretty much unanimously agreed.

So what this tells me is that the athletes, those that are competing in the sport of Crossfit are happy with the current formula, and are not interested in having bodyweight categories.

The numbers and the norms don’t lie. If you want to succeed at the Crossfit Games as a Man you need to be 69.8 inches tall and around 195 lbs, and 65 inches and 142 lbs as a Woman. (Unless I finally hit that growth spurt at 40 I am sh1t out of luck)

You see Crossfit is not looking for the best weightlifter; it is not looking for the best tri-athlete or gymnast. No, Crossfit is looking for the best ATHLETE at all of the above. The best at doing all that encompasses Crossfit, hence their motto “The Fittest on Earth”

To read the full article with interviews from several athletes over at theboxmag.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment