Monday, December 29, 2014

Clothing: The Right Fit.


I have been at the “Butt” end of many a joke when it comes to this topic. (Pun intended) Wearing the correct clothing while training and competing is imperative. Today I am focusing mainly on Suits and tights.
Weightlifters wear a Weightlifting Suit, a singlet. Much the same as wrestlers or rowers do. We are not wearing the suit to show off our muscles, or any other appendage for that matter. It is a part of the Competition Uniform. We have to wear them. They are not just there to make us look cool, they actually serve a purpose.

Weightlifting technique is all about keeping the bar as close to your body as possible. In doing so, the bar will inevitably brush or slide up against your thighs. Weightlifters wear suits and tights to minimize the amount of drag, or resistance against their thighs. Wearing shorts or track pants while training does nothing more than add to the resistance of the upward trajectory of the bar, and hence slow it down. Have you ever tried swimming in a pool with track pants on? Same principle, smaller scale.

When I started competing in Weightlifting things were very different. We were only allowed to wear a legless suit that looked more like a retro 1930’s ladies bathing suit than actual competitive athletic attire. Below is my suit, which I have been wearing for over 20 years now.


Having an open thigh back in the day led to many an awkward moment for a weightlifter. I will never forget when I first went to train with the National team. On the very first day, very first thing that was said to me, Salon!!!  I wasn't quite sure what the coach meant until it was explained to me. You gotta get rid of your leg hair dude. You see what happens is that if you have long hair on your legs, when you drag the bar across your thighs the knurling on the bar will effectively act like sandpaper and rip the hairs, and some skin, from your body. I have seen this happen more than my fare share and let me assure you it is not a pretty sight.
 So off to the salon I went. What followed were probably the most awkward and embarrassing moments of my youth. Let’s just say having a young lady lather you in hot wax was new to me. Followed by Pain. Lots and lots of Pain.
Wearing my original suit in April 2014.
Doing a 137.5 kg/ 302.5 lbs C&J back in 1999 in the same suit.


With freshly waxed legs I then learned all the other tricks lifters used to help the bar slide off their thighs. Powder, baby oil, Lip gloss I have seen it all being used at some stage. Today lifters are allowed to wear a full suit, including legs. So thankfully you will never have to know the pain and embarrassment of wearing a legless suit.
                     
Above is my current weightlifting suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment