Monday, December 15, 2014

Burning Bra's, lifting Bars: Woman and Weights.


So yesterday I had a training session with my brother and his fiancĂ©. (Yes, I have a brother) My brother sits on the executive of the New York Squash Rackets association and writes a very successful blog on the topic of Squash. If anyone has an interest in the sport I have attached a link to his blog below. While training he mentioned an article he recently read regarding woman and weight training. After our our session he forwarded me the link (attached below), and it got me thinking about the topic. 

Very enlightening article but not anything new to me. I have been doing weightlifting for quite some time, and have had this opinion of woman lifting weights long before it became popularized by sports such as Crossfit. Let me put it simply, " there is nothing sexier, and more attractive than a woman who lifts weights" Nothing!!! We have gotten to the point where the old wives tales have been debunked. The myths and fallacies told to woman over the centuries that lifting weights will make you big have not only been dissproven, but this article reiterates my point that men find woman who lift weights more attractive. Woman no longer consider muscles to simply be the domain of men. Woman no longer consider being strong as a sign of there sexual orientation. Strong is the New Sexy, and woman are embracing it. Call it feminism, called self empowerment, call it what ever you want, there is nothing more attractive than a woman picking up an Olympic bar and doing a snatch, clean and Jerk or Squat.

I have heard the same thing over and over again from woman who come to me for personal training, " I don't want to get Big" I don't want to gain weight. I don't want to look like a bodybuilder. Thats totally understandable. However, the thing is, you are not going to get big, you are going to add lean muscle mass, and lose body fat.  While your overall bodyweight might increase, your body composition will change, significantly. If you think your jeans are going to fit better after you start weight training you are wrong. Your quadriceps will get bigger, your gluteus will get bigger, but here is the catch. They are going to be tighter and more toned. Woman need to stop thinking in terms of mass and start thinking in terms of appearance. Throw that bloody scale away and stop obsessing about how much force you are being pulled back towards the center of the Earth by and start concerning yourself more with how you feel physically. 

I have been to Fashion shows at Model Week in Manhattan. I have been to afterparties with woman whom society considers to be the most beautiful woman in the world. Let me tell you something about these woman that you aspire to be. They look look like half dead anorexic zombies to me. I find nothing attractive about them, yet these are the woman who are plastered all over magazines and billboards giving the young woman today this unrealistic expectation of what beauty is.  If you want to see beautiful woman you should have been at the Winter Challenge at Crossfit Hoboken last weekend. More beautiful and attractive woman under one roof than any fashion show. Ladies, Muscles are the new sexy. Weights are the new Yoga. You started with Burning your Bra's. now start bending the Bars.

My Brothers Squash Blog:

 http://www.brettssquashblog.com.

The Article that started it all:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2873487/Women-lift-weights-seen-attractive-men-fitness-fanatics-Cameron-Diaz-Millie-Mackintosh-leading-athletic-trend.html

No comments:

Post a Comment